Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One of my favorite ways to eat Oatmeal

It's Winter...  well, that's what the calendar says. Last day of January and it was 58 degrees here in S.W Michigan today and warm throughout most of the country. We've had very little snow here all winter. I haven't even had to dig the knee high Winter Muck boots out of the closet this year! I'm really getting Spring Gardening fever with the warm sunshine. And only two more days until the groundhog pops his head out and forecasts the arrival of Spring. Usually by Groundhog's Day I'm so tired of deep snow, cold blustery winds and heavy coats that I'm cheering for a cloudy day when he comes out.  Somehow I'm assuming that we will eventually get a bunch of snow and cold this season - have to !

I did find my Baked oatmeal recipe today - made a batch and wanted to share this delicious way to get your oats.

Baked Oatmeal

It’s like a big fresh Oatmeal cookie with breakfast

3 cups Old Fashioned (not quick cooking) Oats
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup butter
2 cage free brown eggs – slightly beaten
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup cinnamon applesauce
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
½ tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together and pour into 13 x 9 buttered baking dish

I also like to add dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, cherries, blueberries, peaches or pears depending on what I have on hand. I also sometimes add a little freshly grated nutmeg……

For a special treat crumble a little brown sugar, cinnamon mix  on top before baking

Bake at 375 for about 30 to 35 minutes until it’s getting slightly brown around the edges.  

Allow to cool slightly – cut and enjoy!  Hint – you’d better eat some yourself before it’s all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment